State Champion Spotlight: Devon Lathrop
Published: Monday, 13 March 2017 06:07
We now profile state champion Devon Lathrop of Cape Elizabeth. He was the 2017 Class A Giant Slalom state champion. He also won the WMC Alpine Championships slalom and giant slalom. We asked him about all of his successes, his best memories, and his state meet.
1) What were your preparations leading up to the state meet?
My preparations were pretty simple and basic leading up to States. Basically consisted of training hard on the snow and even harder in the gym.
2) How did you deal with the pressure and emotions that come along with competing in a state meet?
Honestly I wasn't too stressed, except when I was tied with Axel on the first run of slalom at states. My way of dealing with that stress was to drink a lot of chocolate milk and eat my "sendwitch" from "sendy's" and prepare to shred.
3) What was going through your mind at the starting gate knowing that the conditions were soft and warm?
I wasn't too worried about it, all I had to do was just ski it and hope for the best and I knew I'd be fine.
4) What are some of your best memories from ski racing this past season?
My best memories from ski racing was just having an all around fun time with friends at races, winning a bunch of races, and watching my buddy Jon Fuitak throw backflips in between race runs at states.
5) What is your favorite part about skiing and ski racing?
My favorite part about skiing and ski racing is going fast, shredding with buddies, shredding by myself, sending jumps, slushy bumps, cliffs, glades, gnar, powder, nachos, carving, root beer, crashing, burritos from black diamond burritos and the list could go on for ever.
6) What are your plans for next year?
My plans for next year might be to work hard and start competing in FIS races and ski for an academy, to try and ski in college. Nothing is confirmed yet so as of high school skiing goes my plan is to get stronger and bigger. I also plan to go for the overall state champion in slalom and giant slalom.
7) What were your goals for this season and did you achieve them?
My goal this season was to win states in slalom and giant slalom. Unfortunately I did not achieve my goals possibly because my coach put me in the second seed which gave me a rough course. I also blame Axel Lindsey for being too fast and a beast.
8) You had a lot of great success this season with the state meet and winning WMCs. What led to all of your successes?
My successes came from a few things, training gates, free skiing, working out and drinking a lot of chocolate milk.