State Champion Spotlight: Annesley Black
Published: Thursday, 09 March 2017 06:48
We continue our state champion spotlight with Annesley Black of Cheverus. She was the 2017 Class A Slalom and Giant Slalom state champion. We caught up with her and asked her about her season, her successes, and her favorite memories.
1) What were your preparations leading up to the state meet? I followed the same training and preparation routine that I followed all season. Even though states was a big race, I tried to prepare as if it were any other race.
2) How did you deal with the pressure and emotions that come along with competing in a state meet? I treated it like a regular race, keeping my emotions under control and trying not to make too much of a big deal out of it. Ski racing can be an extremely mental sport, but I try and focus on going fast and having fun.
3) What was going through your mind at the starting gate knowing that the conditions were soft and warm? I knew the conditions were going to be tough, but I tried not to let it get in my head. In the start gate, I was really focusing on psyching myself up to push the limits throughout the course.
4) What are some of your best memories from ski racing this past season? I love the atmosphere of Maine racing. Everyone is so close, and it makes going to races really fun. I had so much fun this year, and the girls gave me really good competition. My favorite memory was winning SMAAs with my brother, Schuyler, who is a senior. Racing with him during his last high school season was so great.
5) What is your favorite part about skiing and ski racing? There is so much to love about the sport. I really enjoy the people I get to meet at all the races, and I love going fast and pushing the limits.
6) What are your plans for next year? I'm going to keep working hard and improving my skiing. I still have a lot of work to do in order to refine my technique.
7) What were your goals for this season and did you achieve them? I had no expectations about results. Coming in, I had heard a lot of good things about the racers and was excited to compete. My goal was to ski as best as I could.
8) You had a lot of great success this season with the state meet and winning SMAAs. What led to all of your successes? I really had to shift my focus from results this year. In previous years, I had a lot of trouble with being to tight and tentative, but this year I wanted to relax and ski fast.